This building had seven two-person cells, a central day room, kitchen, and bathroom facilities.This building held the infamous Cell House 5 (1954) was Maximum Security where the most unruly and violent offenders stayed.In 1928 this building was remodeled for inmate occupancy and became the first cell house with indoor plumbing.The Womens Ward (1905-1906) was built out of necessity.This building was converted into a Chapel in the 1930s and was destroyed by fire in the 1973 riot.The False Front Buildings (1894-1895) held the Commissary, Trusty Dorm, Barber Shop (1902-1960s) and Hospital (originally the blacksmith shop, but was remodeled in 1912 and remained the prison hospital until the 1960s).Cell House 3 (1899) was built the same as Cell House 2.It was eventually condemned for habitation, but in 1921 was converted into a shoe factory.
The prison was in use by the territory, then the state until 1973.
The 416 resident inmates were moved to a modern penitentiary south of In 1992, the Idaho State Historical Society recorded oral history interviews with fifteen former prison guards.
These tapes and transcripts cover prison operations and remembrances from the 1950s to the closing of the prison.
The collection is open for research at the society.
The Territorial Prison was completed in 1872 and received its first 11 inmates from the Boise County Jail.